- “Bidston Observatory: The Place and the People”, by Joyce Scoffield, pub. Countyvise Limited, 2006. ISBN 1-901231-68-2.
- “Auld-lang-syne: recollections and rural records of Old Claughton, Birkenhead and Bidston with other reminiscences”, by Harry B. Neilson, Wilmer Bros, 1935.
- “Bidston Hill Preserved: A Great Boon to the Populations on the Mersey”, by Edward Quaile, D. Marples & Co., Liverpool, 1894.
- “A Study of Bidston Observatory”, by J. C. Sheridan, Dissertation presented to the Royal Institute of British Architects, 1976.
In film and on TV
- Coast, Series 2, Episode 2: “Holyhead to Liverpool”, featuring the Holyhead to Liverpool optical telegraph.
- Coast, Series 7, Episode 5: “The Riddle of the Tides”, featuring the Doodson tide predicting machine.
- Episode of Inside Out featuring Hilbre Island and Bidston Observatory.
- One O’Clock – A Liverpool Cameo, 1932 footage featuring Bidston Observatory and the firing of the one o’clock gun, from British Pathé.
- Tide and Time – a history of tidal science in Liverpool, a short film made for the Time & Tide exhibition at the National Oceanography Centre, Liverpool.
On the web
- Time & Tide – exhibition showcasing tide predicting machines
- “From Astronomy to Oceanography – A brief history of Bidston Observatory”, by J. Eric Jones (download pdf from the history section of the National Oceanography Centre’s web site)
- About tides – The Doodson-Légé Tide Predicting Machine, article by the National Oceanography Centre.
- An inventory of tide prediction machines, by P.L. Woodworth, 2016. National Oceanography Centre, 71pp. (National Oceanography Centre Research and Consultancy Report, 56)
- Voices of Science Interview with David Cartwright, mathematician and oceanographer.
- Voices of Science Interview with Philip Woodworth, oceanographer.
- William Hutchinson, Privateer and Liverpool Dockmaster, article on the Brock University website.
- William Hutchinson, biography on the NOC web site.
- Bidston Hill Heritage Trail, by the Friends of Bidston Hill.
- Articles mentioning Bidston Observatory on the Bidston Lighthouse website.
- Oceans Wormley – A website about Bidston’s sister laboratory at Wormley in Surrey (Bidston, Wormley and Taunton were collectively the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences)